Nanaji - To you with Love

There are times in one's life where we are fortunate enough to meet a great personality who has an enduring impact on you.
They become your inspiration and aspiration.

After a Long time in my life I think I met a person like Nanaji(Akshays Nanji) who had everything I wanted to be.

Perfect Human Being , Truthful , Smart, apolitical, Gentle, Kind . At the same time tolerant.
This all with a so much willpower that one would get scared by the enormity of his character.

He was someone who could never be affected by another person's wrong or foolish behavior.  A very very well travelled man , a business man, Allahabad University professor, tour manager for Jain pilgrimages, writer & publisher of children's' books, owner of Jain temple in a place close to Allahabad & what not. Everyone all at the same time.

Some personal anecdotes with Nanaji -

#
On one of our temple visits we lost way . Only me and Nanji were travelling with a crude, ruthless cab driver. At this point Nanaji didn't lose patience and in fact counselled Cab driver of how not to repeat it the next time. The cab driver felt so apologetic he shed off all his rudeness and behaved sincerely in the leftover journey.

In all such visits - I would remember to support his neck from behind when he would sit in front.

He would acknowledge it with his beatific smile.

It melted my heart.

He would approach unknown people with such warmth & kindness. The attitude said "respect me because you are influenced by me" and not because I SHOULD command respect.

Small things which matter the most. These minute details ingrained within one's daily gestures & routine make a man of this stature.


Selfie With Nanu in Badagaon Temple




Nanu Admiring God & Beautiful architecture at Badagaon Temple



#
Mom and Nanaji had to leave via train. Since they had booked tickets seperately the coaches were different. Mom accompanied Nanaji so that she could take care of him in case needed.
During the journey she recounted how he met TT told him that he needs Mom to travel with her. He respectfully obliged. he had a way with people. Within minutes in his coach he made evryone a friend. People laughed & smiled with him, he loved company & people around him.
Shee gleefully told us on reaching Kanpur that she had thought of taking care of Nanu but it was the other way round.

Capturing Nanaji & Mom in a frame. November 2016 everyone is ears to what he is saying. His room at a glance

What gem of a person.

His strength was his charismatic personality - which attracted people of all ages close to him. He was like a magnet full of power , energy and his acquaintances wanting to stay close to him coz of the aura he invoked.



#
In April 2016 Nanji took his last International trip to Singapore . This like many of his other trips was a lone trip. He told us how he made his journey across 40 countries. The kissa of having 2 passports completely stamped. It was all too exciting to hear all this from him in person.

Just before his trip started he told us he was really feeling frail & incapable to take trip all alone. This was the first time I heard Nanu give up. The body had started to bend and shadow the beautiful soul he was.
But he continued. And returned with another set of beautiful stories for us.

Today April the 12th you are no more with us. You had a peaceful demise.
May God give you Peace & Love.
May I get to meet you somewhere in middle of Heaven & hell.

#
I am just left with 2 regrets
- I could never go out on a week long trip with you. You asked me many times but work or home commitments didn't permit. I wish I could turn back time.
- I didn't call you regularly. This was a change I would have wanted to make.

I am really sorry Nanu. I love you lots.

I will preserve your warmth in my soul forever.

Comments

  1. Gips..your writing has brought the Great Nanaji back to life.He was a man of courage, and will always be remembered through his light.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book review : "Unfair Trade" by Conor Woodman

A mom's realization on the birthday night.