Book review : "ABC murders" by Agatha Christie

My better half loves detective stories and swears by the name of Sherlock holmes & Hercule Poirot - his two very favorite characters. I for myself don't take much fancy on this particular genre - they somehow haven't stimulated my palates enough. Till very recently - which obviously is the reason I am penning down my review on ABC murders based on this very genre.




Rated 10 on a scale of 5 - ABC murder forced into my hands through immense encouragement & sakes of heavens that could perpetuate me into action taking it up as next read by Mr. A. I must say I was enchanted & affected by the end of it.

ABC murders is a dark detective story that takes readers through not one but series of crimes with no relevance to each other. Except that they have an alphabetical pattern !
Person with name starting A living in city name starting A gets killed first - followed by person with name starting B getting killed in city with B - and so on.

While police & poirot are in search for the elusive killer and estimating on which letter of english alphabet series they would be able to end this. Both are clueless of the identity of the killer. Towards the end Agatha christie's magical turning point kicks in and makes it all so worthy to read.

The story seems so realistic when Poirot accepts his helplessness in being able to stop the killer - he is depressed and in search of the clue - makes it a very realistically acceptable story. After all if you have a veery smart murderer you WILL find it difficult to nail him down. Also I feel the case seems like an emotionally exhausting one for Poirot - because he contemplates a lot with not much to action - he entwines himself with the killer to understand what way does the man think. What is the motive for all such killings executed on a premdediated date and with pre planning?

A hands down 10 on 5 for me too - I loved the week in which I read ABC murders.

Pros :

Must read for those who would enjoy a detective story with twisted endings.

Cons :

It is not a scientific detective story - it is lot more contemplative & sit back & think as far as our detective Poirot is concerned.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review : "Unfair Trade" by Conor Woodman

Nanaji - To you with Love

A mom's realization on the birthday night.