Perspective - as I talked to my maid

In my phase of life currently I am surrounded by unpredictability and discomfort. Personally struggling with health and professionally struggling to find Stabler grounds.

On a Friday evening as I was assessing the next steps which are actionable and probable problem solvers. 
I called upon my maid Anita to do the household chores. Thank God I had her !

After finishing work I offered her favorite tea saunf tea to her and she couldn't refused. She sat down the floor and I in my plush sofa and we started sipping our tea together.



She is one talkative chap - and on finding her Bhabi(mein weekend mode - she started chirping happily about her life delving down  her memory lanes.

She enthusiastically "Bhabi - I truly dedicate myself to work for my kids only. Do bachche Hain wahi Mera sab kuch hai. Pati bhi nahi rehta na mere sath"(I have two kids to take care of and my husband doesn't stay with me)

I heard and said "Achcha ye toh achchi bat hai you are very hard working" (Its good that you are so hard working). I didn't want her to tell me stories of her husband. I shied away from asking anything.

  But she rambled - "My husband meets me only once in 2 years. He is into drugs & is intoxicated most of the times. He has lost his mental balance also"
"You know what after my second baby was only 1 month old he left all of us and was mired in drugs. I was in depression for 2 years. After he left, I couldn't do anything. Wait I will show you his pic - he was really smart - now you won't be able to recognize him only. But I keep it safe."  I smiled not able to comprehend what to say in this situation.

  She opened her small purse  searched a bit and found the photo - and handed it enthusiastically to me - "See he is so smart. He was very smart just like your husband is" She handed me the photo laughing her heart out.

I smiled and nodded in agreement - "Han he is good looking, so now...." I could not complete my sentence. 

She spoke "Now Bhabi I don't want god to tell me after I go to him, that you forgot your duties in despair of your husband. My duty is to take care of my kids. I am the sole bread earner. I live for them only"

 I was listening to her story with lot of shock and disbelief -  I didn't know my little maid had so much strength. She is the happiest of all those I have met so far.

Stranger because she has the pressure and responsibility all the time on her shoulder yet she maintains a smile on her face and always ready to laugh out on smallest of her own jokes.

The topic was touchy but she narrated to me everything as if it was somebody else's  story im-passionately and happily. I wanted to give her a hug but was scared that she could cry. 

I think she too suspected the same - she looked welled up ,but was still smiling and sipping her tea. 
I suggested her "Why don't you go back to village. You are staying here away from your family."

"No Bhabi village is not a safe place for a married woman abandoned by husband. Here I have my sister's family to bank upon. In village I have other relatives but it's not safe. 
Panchayat is very biased towards men in law and order decisions"

I pondered on how grave is this situation.

And suddenly all the points that were worrisome for me were no more big. I got a perspective - on what tough life truly means. She got up - said " Chai achchi thi Bhabi. "(Tea was good)
I too got up. Held her hand and told her - "Don't worry you are doing good. Let me know whenever you need my help anywhere.  Ok"

She said laughing "Ok Bhabi"

Then went down the sink washed the teacups and left.

Perspective is important sometimes.

I thanked God for the wonderful life he has given me. Wished for a better life for Anita. 
Closed my eyes and thought on how small incidents like today change your life momentarily.

I also think that women of this segment need our support more than we think. Do we do so day in day out? We should do so more each day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review : "Unfair Trade" by Conor Woodman

Nanaji - To you with Love

A mom's realization on the birthday night.